Monday, July 5, 2010

Family Day Out

Twenty feet or so above a deep pool in a mountain stream. One of my kids was standing next to me with eager eyes of anticipation. My wife in the shallows, was staring at me as if it were eighteen years earlier. My youngest next to her, laughed and shouted "jump daddy." My oldest searched through our bags for some chips. I looked at the child next to me and said, "alright."

The air flew by my eyes and ears. I heard a grunt inside my head as I braced for impact. Suddenly, I was surrounded by the fridged waters, my fore arms were stinging from slapping the water. My feet landed on the sandy bottom, I almost went to my knees. I pushed off from the bottom, releasing my air as I rose to the surface.

My son with the chips was shaking his head. My daughter was almost howling with laughter. My wife had the look of "well," in her eyes. My other boy was teetering up on the rock, grinning from ear to ear. I motioned for him to join me. I was astonished at the small amount of hesitation then, he was airborn. A moment went by and then another, then he came to the top still grinning. It's important to go out of your way to have a wonderful day with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment